Pirating of Jogja

Rice paper, Ink ,Charcoal, Performance Documentary 

When I first did it in Taiwan, I was using an ancient printing skill called “rubbing” but I kind of reversed its typical object: i wasn’t rubbing ancient monument, but I was rubbing modern industrial company boards. I was “pirating” their trademarks into my artwork and put them into a museum, just like a display of hidden Taiwanese economic history. And I expect to create a sense of irony by showing no one really care about them, the so-called economic miracle, unless we “pirate” them into a group.

Originally, it’s an sneaky behavior at night. Now the scene shifts to Jogja,it becomes a legalized act only through formal procedure, which erases the sense of irony I meant to create in my previous series of work. The interval of detained work could explain the difference.

So how to respect the local culture of Jogja yet reach the “pirating” effect? I guess the answer is in my video title : “To Those about to Disappear.” I choose to rub old store sign boards. It’s like a nostalgic act to those genuine ones, wishing to witness their existences by rubbing out their ghosty shadows.











Malioboro’s night crew / Alin Liandisshanti Ahmad Habiby Dicky Arif Probo Darmawan Hendra pramana uluy Weri Trasia

Videography by / Ahmad Habiby Hendra pramana uluy Weri Trasia

Special Thanks / Ahmad Habiby

You Might Also Like

0 意見